| 
  • If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Buried in cloud files? We can help with Spring cleaning!

    Whether you use Dropbox, Drive, G-Suite, OneDrive, Gmail, Slack, Notion, or all of the above, Dokkio will organize your files for you. Try Dokkio (from the makers of PBworks) for free today.

  • Dokkio (from the makers of PBworks) was #2 on Product Hunt! Check out what people are saying by clicking here.

View
 

2016, February 23 Minutes (redirected from February 2016 Minutes)

Page history last edited by Aloha Sargent 6 years, 3 months ago

MOBAC Reference Committee

Meeting Minutes

February 23, 2016

Cabrillo College

Call to Order: Meeting was called to order by Be Astengo at 2:15pm

Present: Be Astengo-MCFL (Chair), Frank Gravier-UCSC, Ann Jacobson-NPS (via Zoom), Betty Mason-SJBC (via Zoom), Valerie Murphy-SCPL, Aloha Sargent-CAB, Deborah Stephens-HCL, Jen Waterson-MIIS

Recorder: Aloha Sargent

Proxies: Deborah Stephens for Glenn Tozier-MPC

Approval of Minutes from the January 26, 2016 meeting: The minutes were approved with minor typos corrected

Public Comments: There were no public comments

Reports:

Administrative Council: Be reported on the following items:

·         The grace period for MOBAC membership was extended for San Juan Bautista Library
·         The Watsonville Public Library Director spoke about the new Joint Powers Authority Board for all libraries in the Santa Cruz City/County jurisdiction

Technology Committee: Deborah reported on the following items:

·         They approved the $50 request from the Reference Committee
·         They are still finalized their Spring Workshop, with a May time frame, and a topic related to Web content (e.g., organization, keeping fresh, weeding, research guides)

Interlibrary Loan Committee: No meeting

SPLAMBA: Be reported the following items:

·         They have finalized their Spring Workshop, scheduled for March 18 at the Watsonville Public Library. The topic is “Science in the Library.” The first hour will be a presentation by the Environmental Science Workshop, and the second hour will be a presentation from 3 librarians. Be will send a flyer out to members, for distribution to interested parties (e.g., ECE departments, schools)

Old Business:

MOBAC Reference Wiki vs. Webpage: Pros and Cons Discussion

·         Frank and Jean have been discussing the pros and cons of using both the Wiki and the MOBAC Webpage for Reference Committee business. Their current list of pros and cons was distributed and discussed with the group

·         Comments/Additions from the group:

    • Additional pros for Webpage: Most MOBAC members use the Webpage and not the Wiki, and the Webpage is required (as the place of record), so it must be learned regardless. Also, most of the pros listed for the Wiki also apply to the Webpage
    • Additional pros for Wiki: The Wiki allows for a private space for working documents
    • Cons for both: Both have learning curves and it takes a lot of time to use both
    •  Action Item: Everyone should play around with both tools and send any additional pros and cons to Jean and Frank, who will report back to us
    •  Deadline set: By the May meeting, a decision should be made whether to archive the Wiki, or continue with our current practice of actively using both the Wiki and the MOBAC Webpage

Spring Workshop Updates

·         Workshop was been finalized with Mike Kimball and is set for April 29th at Marina Library.
·         General agenda for the workshop: Check-in 9-9:30, Presentation 9:30-11:30, Q&A and mingling after 11:30
·         PLP is doing a similar workshop on April 20th, for a cost of $15
·         We need a good title for the workshop. Ideas and comments for titles centered around:

    • Stress related to the “ambiguity of the everyday” (which is especially tough for new library staff)
    • Difficulties of customer service in a hostile world
    • Strategies for dealing with long-term, low-level PTSD, and the barriers/armor that we put up as a result
    • Communication strategies, de-escalation strategies
    •  Tasks:
      • Be will send an email to solicit example scenarios from us, to send to Mike
      • Ann will be the MC
      • Frank will do the promotion and a flyer
      • Heather might be doing the food, and Valerie can help ($50 budget)
      • Ann will arrive early (8:15am) to help Be set up the room
      • Deborah as tentative videographer (Notes: Equipment is at CSUMB, and the Tech Committee is working on a YouTube channel)

New Business:

·         Plan to discuss the next committee co-chair at the March meeting. Ann needs a strong co-chair, as she misses many meetings
·         Change May meeting to MIIS
·         Need location for June meeting. Volunteers: San Benito County, Monterey Public, Cabrillo

Reference Shares:

·         Jen: At the ILL Committee meeting, they watched a good webinar on freedom of speech in the library. One notable point was that foul language can be addressed as a volume issue

·         Be:

    • “Book Club To Go” brochure – New/revamped, provides readers advisory, 2-week survey done to get feedback on book club
    • Feedback solicited on “Transparent Language” database. It is $3200 compared to Mango Languages, which is very expensive ($10,000). It also offers better features and depth than comparable free products (e.g., Duolingo)

News from the Libraries: News is not recorded

Next meeting: March 22, 2016 at MCFL, Marina

 

Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.