| 
  • If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Dokkio Sidebar (from the makers of PBworks) is a Chrome extension that eliminates the need for endless browser tabs. You can search all your online stuff without any extra effort. And Sidebar was #1 on Product Hunt! Check out what people are saying by clicking here.

View
 

2016, March 22 Minutes

Page history last edited by Ann Jacobson 6 years, 4 months ago

MOBAC Reference Committee Meeting Minutes

March 22, 2016 2:00 P.M.

MCFL Marina Branch Library

 

Be called to order at 2:17

 

Present:  Be Astengo, MCFL; Deborah Stephens HCL; Jen Waterson, MIIS; Ann Jacobson, NPS; Heather Geddes, Watsonville; Aloha Sargent, Cabrillo (via Zoom), Valerie Murphy, SCPL

Recorder, Ann Jacobson

Proxies:  Be for Jean Chapin, HML.  Heather for Betty Mason (San Benito)

Approval of Minutes.  Minutes approved.

Public Comments:   None 

 

Reports:

 

Administrative Council

Be indicated that there have been no Admin Council meetings since we last met

 

Tech Committee

Deborah indicated they are finalizing Spring Workshop for May.  It will be about Web best practices. It's a follow up to their previous Web workshop. Location TBD. 

 

ILL Committee

Jen indicated their next meeting will be on April 12

 

SPLAMBA

Be indicated they had their annual workshop last week.  There was good attendance and it was well-received (about 19 including presenters). The topic was makerspace and science-focused.  It was held in Watsonville which is generally a good location and space.

 

Old Business:

 

Spring Workshop—updates, planning, (food, set-up, surveys, filming)

Be has been in contact with Frank and Michael (the speaker).  Please send Be scenarios of uncomfortable situations in your library. Should be examples of tough situations with customers. The speaker sent a flier that Be adapted.  Frank will send out a month ahead, so that will be next week. Then he'll send a reminder.  Heather will take care of food and sign thanking tech committee for funding the food. Be can provide tea and coffee here but will confirm. Ann will come early for setup (8:00). May need another helper, Be will see if she can get an MCFL staff person to help.  If anyone else can help, please let Be know.  If needed she will put out request in an email.  Surveys: Be will do.  Filming, Deborah will do if she can be there.  She will have to get the equipment from CSUMB.  Jen will help with cleanup if she can attend.  Ann will be emcee.  Needs speaker background info, which Be will provide.

 

Wiki and MOBAC pages.  Need to make decision by May.  Send comments to Jean and Frank. (No meeting in April, just Workshop). 

 

New business:

Topic ideas for future (fall) workshop—online learning (MOOCs, other options), how libraries are training customers on technology, “Appy” hour, how to assess success and effectiveness of programs.

Heather suggests overview of different eBook systems, contracts, implications for content if you lose the contract. Could be complicated to coordinate. Maybe someone from a large public library would have figured out the various vendors and their complexities.

We will hopefully get some suggestions from surveys from upcoming workshop.

Appy hour sounds fun. 

Good to get ideas generated now so we are ready for the Fall.  

 

Elect vice-chair or co-chair for next term—2016-2017:

Heather offered and agreed to co-chair with Ann (August 2016-June 2017)

 

Conversation about meeting schedule and frequency.  Do we need to meet as often as we do?  Meetings important for workshop planning.  Fewer meetings means big gaps for people who miss a meeting. Zoom may help with some people being able to attend. Some discussion about the nature of the committee. ILL committee sometimes watches webinars together.  Or, we could focus library shares on specific topics. We ultimately agreed to continue with our current schedule next year.

 

Reference Shares:

MCFL getting a lot more vendors contacting them than in the recent past.  Heather talked about Transparent for languages, costs a lot less than Mango. Good basic language database, but not really in-depth.  Watsonville has something called Universal Class for online classes in a variety of topics. Some libraries have lynda.com for technical staff training.  A couple of libraries are using Fregal for music and other audio content.

 

News from libraries (off the record)

 

Next meeting—Spring Workshop, April 29, 2019—MCFL Marina Branch Library  

 

 

Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.