| 
  • If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Buried in cloud files? We can help with Spring cleaning!

    Whether you use Dropbox, Drive, G-Suite, OneDrive, Gmail, Slack, Notion, or all of the above, Dokkio will organize your files for you. Try Dokkio (from the makers of PBworks) for free today.

  • Dokkio (from the makers of PBworks) was #2 on Product Hunt! Check out what people are saying by clicking here.

View
 

2016, September 27 minutes (redirected from September 2016 minutes)

Page history last edited by Ann Jacobson 5 years, 8 months ago

MOBAC Reference Committee Meeting

September 27, 2016 – MCFL, Marina Branch

 

Call to Order: 2:03pm

 

Present: Ann Jacobson, NPS, Heather Geddes, WPL, Deborah Stephens, HCL, Julie Richardson, SCPL by ZOOM, Ellie Anderson, MPL, Frank Gravier UCSC by ZOOM, Kris Amaral, MCFL

 

Proxies: Kris Amaral for Betty Mason, and Heather Geddes for Jean Chapin

 

Recorder: Kris Amaral

 

Approval of Last Meetings Minutes: Approved

 

Public Comment: None

 

Old Business:

 

Workshop next week:

 

-only 11 people signed up so far.  Ann asked to please talk it up.  Our first speaker should be of high interest to public, school and community college librarians. Deborah suggested to send it out to MOBAC info list. Ann will do that.

-second half of workshop will be a panel of librarians, Renee, CSUMB (Best Practices For Screen Casting), Sarah, CSUMB- Camtasia, Deborah Stephens, Hartnell - Active Presenter, Diane, SCPL- Screen Cast O Matic

-Ellie signed up for clean-up, will arrive 30 minutes early

-Sarah will bring equipment for filming, Kris will help

-Ann will bring photo releases

-Evaluations - MOBAC website survey, print it out or make a google survey, Frank volunteered to do an online survey to be sent to the emails of all attendees

-Kris will look into name tags

-

-8:45-9:15am Refreshments and networking, 9:15-12noon workshop

 

Reference Committee Meeting Schedule

 

-Host for October 25th, 2016 - MCFL.  We still need others to sign up to host. Please do so if you are able.

 

New Business:

 

Chair for next year

-Chair and Co-Chair for next year, start thinking about it.  Ann and Heather are finding it works well to co-chair, so perhaps a couple of committee members would like to use that approach next year. Best to decide early so you get familiar with things now.

 

Committee initiatives and meeting structure and substance

 

-Ann asked if we want to take on some additional activities this year besides our two workshops, and if we want to incorporate anything new/different into our meeting structure?

-Heather wants to continue with Reference Shares and Library News. 

-Heather reminded us that Jean brought up the issue of statistics and how we all do them differently, and that seemed to resonate with the group

-Frank, suggested looking at the statistics impact issues (benefits we derive, why we collect them, ways people present stats to get funding, how to use them)

-Heather will bring this up again in October once the workshop is over

 

Wiki and website training

-Ann and Heather did a training on how to edit and use the MOBAC website and committee wiki.

 

Spring workshop

-Heather - suggested have the next workshop be on a Mental Health/first aide training. It's an 8 hour training instead of 3 hours. They have staff members who will be certified to teach the class. Seems like a topic that would be very popular.

 

Miscellaneous

-Heather asked why we do not do plan of service anymore  (CSLA Plan of Service).  We are no longer funded through the same mechanism and that plan of service is no longer a requirement. Shall we remove that verbiage from the committee's page of the MOBAC site?

 

Reports:

-Administrative Council: (some of this information supplements what Heather reported in person at the meeting): At the last meeting all committees shared their annual reports. Council had some questions about how reference statistics are collected and may pursue this as a future issue. The council has moved to quarterly meetings and changing its bylaws to reflect this. PLP is supporting CENIC for libraries, innovation grants, and a project to create a new ereader platform in conjunction with the state library.  Enki subscriptions have been renewed and additional ZOOM accounts are being purchased.  Library of Congress is trialing a program, Bibframe 2.0, where library records will show up in google searches.

 

-Tech Committee: Deborah reported. Met last week. Brainstormed workshop topics. Google Analytics (Heather thinks this would be a good idea, Ann thinks so as well), tips for technology troubleshooting, digital exhibits, discussed API and SQL queries. Rescheduled new meeting to the 26th at the MIIS library. They are having an Open House.

 

-ILL Committee: none

 

-SPLAMBA: none

 

Reference Shares:

-we clarified that a "reference share" is a reference-related question, issue or resource

-Heather - Vendors have good free webinars: management to publicity to stem programs at the library, tech soup and demco, and dynix, pro quest and sage.

-Deborah- NEA Big Read

-Kris - Book Browser, looking into it, good tool for Reader's Advisory, Julie says it is simplified and accessible, easy to work with, best for book groups

 

Meeting adjourned

 

NEWS from libraries: off record

 

Next meeting: October 25th, 2016 - 2-4pm at MCFL Community Room

Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.