| 
  • If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Dokkio Sidebar (from the makers of PBworks) is a Chrome extension that eliminates the need for endless browser tabs. You can search all your online stuff without any extra effort. And Sidebar was #1 on Product Hunt! Check out what people are saying by clicking here.

View
 

2018, September 25 Minutes

This version was saved 3 years, 11 months ago View current version     Page history
Saved by Kenny Garcia
on October 18, 2018 at 9:53:28 am
 

MOBAC Reference Committee Meeting Minutes

September 25, 2018 2PM

Salinas Public Libary

 

Call to Order: David Addison @ 2:15pm

 

Present: 

  •         David Addison, SCPL
  •         Watonka Addison, Watsonville Public Library
  •         Cynthia Ainsworth, Hartnell
  •         Ellie Anderson, Monterey Public Library
  •         Stacy Mueller, Cabrillo
  •         Sarah Dahlen, CSUMB
  •         Beata Obydzinski, MCFL 
  •         Sean Briscoe, Salinas Public 
  •        Kenny Garcia, CSUMB
  •        Elizabeth Thomas, MPC (Zoom)

 

Recorder: Kenny Garcia

  

Approval of Last Meeting's Minutes:  Approval of minutes from August meeting

 

Public Comments:  none

 

WelcomeTo new members Elizabeth Thomas from MPC and Kenny Garcia from CSUMB

  

Old Business: 

1.) The Fall workshop: Local History Treasures/ History Project is scheduled for Friday October 26, 2018 from 9:00am to 12:00pm at the Marina Branch of the MCFL. Main Panelists have been confirmed: Archives specialist Jennifer Smith (see her email that contains questions about the workshop) and local history librarian Deborah Lipoma from SCPL.         

2) We agreed upon a 2 hour presentation from panelists and a 1 hour show and tell of MOBAC libraries local history artifacts. Jennifer Smith will give a 45 minutes presentation, Deborah Lipoma will give a 20 minute presentation, Dennis Copeland from MCL will speak for 30 minutes which leaves 35 minutes for 7 people to give 5 minute presentations. Ideally we need 11 tables for show and tell. Beata agreed to make signs for each table for show and tell. Cynthia agree to make a flyer for the event. She will have a draft ready at the beginning of September. A discussion ensued regarding what type of workshop survey for attendees was best. Paper, online? We discussed putting survey on a white board. Most members agreed with this but a final decision is necessary. Ellie agreed to buy food and should get reimbursed from MOBAC Admin. The formal workshop will be from 9:00am to 12:00pm. Coffee and networking from 8:30-9:00am. We will create a 1/2 sheet handout with the agenda. URL to the MCFL local history directory:https://www.co.monterey.ca.us/library/MCLHD.html

 

New business:

1) Sarah reminded us that October is local history month. The City of Monterey will host a local history festival October 13-14 which also includes an Archive Crawl, check it out! 

2) .Stacy asked the group about classrooms and labs. Has anyone added a lab space to their library? What do these classrooms and labs look like? A.) Sean from Salinas Public talked about their new lab/classroom space at the new library. Their new lab space in located in the basement and includes moveable shelving and panels, white boards and laptops. B.) Ellie talked about the Learning Lab @ MPL which includes a smart screen, 12 .laptops, flexible space configuration. She mentioned that the Half Moon Bay library has a new maker space but the room is set up to be very flexible for other programming. C.0 Cynthia's dream lab would include a smart TV with the ability to push content from a tablet on the tv from anywhere in the room so you can walk around and present. 

 

Reports:

 

Administrative Council:

Cynthia attend their last meeting in June. They were excited to hear about our upcoming workshop and even floated the idea of creating a new archival committee for MOBAC. 

 

Tech Committee:

No rep.

 

ILL Committee

No rep

 

SPLAMBA:

Ellie reported about the Bookshares program. Splamba meetings have see low attendance for the past few meetings. They are thinking about a Spring workshop.

 

Reference Shares:

1.) Beata talked about the new addition of A-Z database and thought it had a better interface than Reference USA. She asked about the future of Enki. The group agreed that it's going away soon for MOBAC libraries.

2.) Ellie talked about keeping more Ebsco databases and thought it was a better deal than Gale. They have cut some databases from both providers and have cut almost half of their database subscriptions.

3.) David spoke about about the formation of a new reference focus group. SCPL will be reviewing and updating our reference services and what it means to provide reference in the 21st century. He asked the group for any relevant input and welcomed their ideas about the future of reference.

4.) Sarah mentioned how they just added the Homeland Security Digital Library database to their collection. Early usage stats are looking good.

5.) Ellie shared a flyer for an upcoming program entitled "Searching For Your Roots", an introduction to Genealogical Research. The program will be held on Thursdays 1:00-2:30pm October 18 & 25, November 1 & 8th.

6.) Stacy reported to the group about a new ILS for all State College Libraries called Ex Libris Alma which has been quite an adjustment for all stakeholders. 

 

News from libraries (off the record)

 

Meeting adjourned @ 4:15pm

 

Next meetings— September 25, 2018 @ Salinas Public Libary

 

Following meetings:

October 26, 2018 Fall Workshop @ Marina Branch of MCFL

January 22, 2019 @ Watsonville Public Library

March 26, 2019 @ Monterey Public Library

May 28, 2019 @ CSUMB Library

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

Welcome

Libraries that have not been participating in the MOBAC reference committee meetings can access updates

 

Old Business

 

Fall workshop

 

Reimbursement

Reimbursements will be processed through PLP with receipts and a note

Budget: $150

Shawn will help with the coffee

Future deadline: Within 6 months

 

Flyer

Frank needs to set up with registration

Cynthia will follow up with Frank

Library names will be spelled out

Should the MOBAC logo be included?

Link to the directory?

--Can be added to the registration form

Cynthia will try to get the flyer done by Thursday

 

Assessment/Survey

White-board assessment on day of

--No online survey for this workshop

*Make sure to ask what participants want to do next?

**Questions: What we liked, What would we change, What do you want to do next time

**Cynthia – will write questions

 

Recording

Sarah will bring recording devices. Shawn will record the workshop

 

MC

-co-chairs of the committee

 

Agenda

Half sheet agenda – David

--will include MOBAC banner

 

Logistics

Beata is making signs for each table with the logos of all of the participating libraries.

 

Speaker confirmation

-Beata will confirm with Jennifer

-Jennifer will speak for 45 mins

-gift?

*$10 gift card & note card

--Ellie will include gift cards and note cards with food purchase

-Dennis is confirmed

--30 mins

-Deborah is confirmed

 

5 min presentations

Katie O’Connell (Carmel Public)

Sean Briscoe (Salinas Public)

Eva Nottage (Watsonville Public)

Robin Guthrie (CSUMB)

Cynthia (Hartnell)

Stacy (MPC)

Stacy Mueller (Cabrillo)

*David will follow up with other libraries

--35 min allotted time should be enough time

--Alphabetical order

 

Meet and Greet

-Watonda

 

Setup/Cleanup

*Everyone will chip in

--Setup time: 7:30am

*Beata will get the key to open the doors

 

Send email out to other MOBAC committees

-David will send email once flyer is finalized

--Everyone will send to their prospective library

*Jean can send emails to all of the listservs

 

New Business

Administrative Council meeting

-Many of the MOBAC directors were present

-PLP director was present

--Welcoming of committee chairs

--Each library gave an update

*David gave a report on behalf of the committee

*San Juan Bautista Public Library is dropping out of MOBAC

*DLI is dropping out of MOBAC

*Community colleges creating a local consortium with shared ILS

*Some of the public libraries looking into sharing ILS

 

Reports

 

Tech Committee

 

ILL Committee

 

SPLAMBA Committee

-Chair is stepping down

-Committee is looking for a new chair

-Workshop in the spring (March)

--Carmel

 

Reference Shares:

 

Harrison Library - Lynda for the public

 

Zip Books (CALIFA)

-not listed on MCFL website

--Monterey Public: uses it as an alternative to ILL

*Not charging

--Salinas charges through patron account

 

Monterey Public Library – Hoopla

--Libraries can set a cap per use

 

 

 

 

 

Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.