• If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Buried in cloud files? We can help with Spring cleaning!

    Whether you use Dropbox, Drive, G-Suite, OneDrive, Gmail, Slack, Notion, or all of the above, Dokkio will organize your files for you. Try Dokkio (from the makers of PBworks) for free today.

  • Dokkio (from the makers of PBworks) was #2 on Product Hunt! Check out what people are saying by clicking here.


2014, May 27 Minutes (redirected from May 27, 2014 DRAFT minutes)

Page history last edited by jchapin@ci.carmel.ca.us 8 years ago

May 27, 2014 MOBAC Reference Meeting, CSUMB Library Room 3145


Mary Elturk (PGPL)

Jean Chapin (HML)

Sarah Dahlen (CSUMB)

Amy Chirman (MPC)

Ann Jacobson (NPS)

Jen Waterson (MIIS)

Be Astengo (MCFL)

Deborah Stephens (HCL)

Kris Amaral (SPL)



Sarah Dahlen for Inga Waite (MPL)

Amy Chirman for Julie Richardson (SCPL)


Approval of Minutes --April 22, 2014:


No public comment



Administrative Council— no meeting since ref committee last met

Technology Committee—The “Intellectual Freedom” workshop held at Cabrillo on May 2 was well attended. They didn’t use all the money donated from other groups since John Perry Barlow participated remotely and there was no need for a hotel room. The feedback was mixed although no formal surveys were done. The workshop started late because of technical difficulties at Cabrillo because of restrictions. Google Hangouts was the platform used for the discussion with John Perry Barlow. The panel with Deborah Caldwell Stone and Jayanti Addleman was interesting with a strict legal and real world perspective.

ILL Committee—no meeting since ref committee last met

SPLAMBA—The Bullying Prevention workshop took place on April 22 and the presentation by all reports was excellent, however, the attendance at the workshop was poor. Frances “Pinky” Weesner was the presenter and she has national recognition. It’s an important topic and the group may revisit the topic again for the fall workshop.


Old Business:

Reference Committee Workshops for PLP—we are suggesting the following workshops to PLP:

Bullying Prevention (we will have to check with the presenter), Terrance the Trapezoid (about STEM/STEAM & Bullying—presenters live in Salinas), Reference Hidden Treasures (they can do on their own, we will send materials), Social Media Social (they can do on their own).

We hope they can hold workshops in San Jose which would be closer for travel.


Update services pages—Mary passed out the final pages that needed updating, many libraries have completed updates to their pages. There was discussion about who uses these pages and the answer is we do to refer patrons to a particular service such as ILL—but the info is public.


Outcomes/Outputs/Technology Questions in State Stats—the group discussed the variability in stats reporting from library to library. The issue is that if data is being reported, published and compared then all libraries should use the same reporting methods. Many libraries don’t record technology assisting transactions, but they are a large part of reference. Jean looked up a definition of “What is a reference transaction?” and found this answer:

“A reference transaction is an information contact that involves the use, recommendation, interpretation, or instruction in the use of one or more information sources, or knowledge of such sources by a library staff member. Information resources include: print and non-print materials, machine-readable data bases, library bibliographic records, other libraries and institutions, persons both inside and outside the library. A question answered through utilization of information gained from previous consultation of such sources is considered a reference transaction even if the source is not consulted again". http://www.arrowhead.lib.mn.us/more/reftrans.htm   This definition is broad.


Amy looked up a definition on reference transaction vs. directional for community college libraries:

“A reference transaction is an information contact that involves the use, recommendation, interpretation, or instruction in the use of one or more information sources, or knowledge of such sources, by a member of the reference/information staff. Do not include directional/operational questions, such as directions for locating restrooms, carrels or telephone, library staff, locating materials for which the user has the call number, supplying materials such as paper and pencils, or assisting users with the operation of printers and photocopiers.”


The group decided that the actions to take are:

1) to compile reference transaction recording procedures/policies. Sarah Dahlen will compile definitions from university and college libraries. Kris Amaral will collect definitions from public libraries.

 2) revisit the topic at the August 26 meeting with a goal to compare and come up with recommended standards.


New Business:

Core competencies for reference staff—Be will bring MCFL’s competencies to the next meeting in August

Wiki/MOBAC webpage tutorial—Mary gave a tutorial after the News from Libraries and Reference Shares.


Reference shares:

Jen brought up the news that EBSCO and Rosetta Stone are partnering to provide a language learning service to libraries. Some libraries have asked for quotes and prices are high. The group discussed the merits vs. costs of Rosetta Stone and free language classes at MIIS. MIIS offer a “Build” language program in the fall, with student tutors.

Amy had sent out an email, but asked for a final time if anyone wanted any of the MPC microfiche. Art projects were suggested.


News from Libraries: not reported


Next meeting:  June 24, 2014 at MIIS





Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.